Short Written Summary
At the start of the year I did a mini project where I had to choose an image and from it I made a pea sticks drawing and also an oil pastel drawing. I embroidered onto a piece of material just using black thread and then went onto embroidering in colour and also using cellophane.
I then did a project called “Locations,” for this I chose an object which reminded me of a particular place. I chose a ballet shoe because it reminded me of my dance studio. I experimented with a range of coloured wool to make my own felt based on the colours from the ballet shoe. When doing this I tried to lay the wool in the shapes of the ballet shoe. From this I went onto making a small ballet shoe made of felt and I also used ribbon for the finishing intricate detail.
At the end of AS my final project was called “Other Cultures.” In this project I had to look at a non European country which for this I chose Japan. To start the project I chose a wooden doll which was from Japan. I took photos and did many drawings in different media to look more closely at the detailing of the object, and also made colour wraps. During this project I looked at many different media styles, my favourite one was printing. There is an image showing the skill printing onto a piece of fabric which I had dyed using the colours found in my research. The image for the printing came from my drawing. Also on the same photo I have photocopied the same image onto a piece of acetate and sewn fabric behind it. I did many samples of experimentation work such as cutting and slashing shown in the next image. For my final piece I decided to make a bodice using the techniques bonding and also cutting and slashing. The colours for the bodice were chosen from looking at the hair of the wooden doll. The shapes and the flowers were from my visual recordings of the wooden dolls body.
For my exam I was given the title “Marine life,” I chose to look at fish and shells because I thought that from the shells I would get interesting shapes and from the fishes scales I thought I would get interesting colours. I made colour wraps and also took photos and did many drawings of the shells and fish. I also looked at a section of the fish and embroidered a small section onto a piece of white cotton. From this I got to look more closely at the colours and lines of the fish’s eye. For this project I designed a mermaid skirt using coloured cellophane and embroidery based on shapes from my drawings.